PDFs cannot replace books for us, but we are happy to make them available to those who prefer this format. We are excited to begin a new feature on HLP of offering 4 different PDF formats for you to choose from when you buy a book in this form. You can also download all 4 in a zipped file and try them all out.
PDFs are files intended to go across multiple formats of viewing devices and to have a longevity despite changes to software, operating systems, and other things that effect our ability to access digital artifacts. PDFs are in a sense "device-less." We think that they are a very open, democrat, accessible format and have given our energy into thinking about how to best us them to further our goals at Half Letter Press.
The different devices people have and the different formats that they may or may not demand has gotten us thinking about what simple things we can do to make viewing the books we hawk in PDF format. Here is what we have come up with. We are offering people the opportunity to choose the following formats:
- PDF at 72 DPI, with pages separated individually so that they will appear in portrait orientation
- PDF at 150 DPI, formatted with pages separated individually so that they will appear in portrait orientation and are for viewing on smart phones, retinal ready devices, and can be printed at home
- PDF at 150 DPI, formatted as spreads so that they will appear in landscape orientation and for viewing on tablets, computer screens, retinal ready devices, and can be printed at home
- PDF/X-4:2010 at 300 DPI, formatted as spreads so that they will appear in landscape orientation, are archival digital objects, and can be printed at full quality
- ZIP file gathering all the above files
We hope to eventually offer DRM-free, fixed-format epub files, in addition to the various PDFs, in the not-too-distant future. Keep checking back.
Please note that only PDFs with the little 5 in the circle like that in the image above have this feature. We will try and add more PDFs as we can and have many in the works that we will announce in the next month's newsletter.